Make your own free website on

Back to Main Page MUST KNOW ITEMS Back to Osan Page


If you are going to be in Korea over 15 days you will need a visa in your passport (excluding active duty military). Contact the Korean Consulate nearest you or the Korean Embassy in Washington DC (202) 939-5600

Rank, Name PSC #3 General Delivery APO AP 96266

A charter flight called the "Osan Eagle" will arrive and depart Osan twice weekly beginning 1 May 98, arriving at 0700 hours and departing at 1130 hours, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Check with TMO/Relocation (Outbound Assignments) at your losing base about this flight. If you are going to be stationed at Osan or an Osan GSU, it is to your advantage to enter Korea via the "Osan Eagle". It is much easier on sponsors, the units, and you to meet incoming personnel at the Osan passenger terminal than to arrange transportation to and from Kimpo International Airport. Kimpo can be a one to three hour bus ride (one way) to Osan. If you must travel commercial air to Kimpo, please keep your sponsor informed of all travel arrangements/times. Due to the mission at Osan, sponsors may not be able to meet incoming personnel at Kimpo. Be sure to read the information below regarding bus service to Osan.

If you happen to come into Korea thru Kimpo Airport be sure to check in at the USO counter (located at International Terminal 1) after clearing customs. The USO will advise you of bus service. If you happen to arrive thru International Terminal #2, take the free Airport Shuttle to International Terminal #1. Once at International Terminal #1 check in at the USO counter for further information.

There is an 51st SVS bus that provides non-stop transportation to Osan Air Base from International Terminal #1. The cost is $15.00 per person. There are 3 buses that depart Kimpo for Osan Air Base. One leaves at 0900 for Osan, one departs at 1800 and the third one waits for the last plane of the night to land. It departs Kimpo for Osan Air Base at approximately 2200 HRS. The 51st SVS buses run 7 days a week. The USO operating hours are: Mon - Fri 1400-2200, Sat - Sun 1500-2200 (DSN 723-8621 or Commercial 011-82-2-662-0076).

Taxi's are generally available if you should happen to arrive after a bus has departed. The cost varies. Be prepared to spend up to $100.00 (you will be reimbursed via travel voucher). Usually, there are several people trying to find transportation to Osan. Share a taxi. The cost will be lower per person and you will have company for a long taxi ride.

Upon arrival, or the first duty day after your arrival, you will need to report to the Military Personnel Flight (MPF) in building 936 and your unit orderly room. During your initial inprocessing, you will complete the Combat INTRO program. This program is designed to complete all inprocessing appointments and briefings within two weeks of arrival. If you arrive at Osan by means other than the "Osan Eagle" and your sponsor does not meet you, report to the Osan Billeting Office. Osan Billeting has been designated as the 24 hour reception center. Each squadron is required to have a representative at the AMC Terminal on "Osan Eagle" days to meet incoming personnel.

TSgts and below serving an unaccompanied tour here at Osan should be prepared to lose their BAS. They will be issued a meal card. Some units have exceptions, so check with your individual unit to see what the policy regarding BAS is.

The US government is authorized to import items sold in the exchange, commissary, and Class Six facilities without paying customs duties on them. This provision of the SOFA allows US servicemembers to purchase American goods at stateside prices. Along with that provision is the requirement to control the purchase of these goods. To discourage the flow of US goods into the black market, a rationing system has been established. Retirees, civilians, command and non-command sponsored spouses and children at least 10 years old will be issued a ration control plate and must show both their ID card and ration control plate (RCP) to enter the exchange, commissary and class six facilities; military members need only their ID cards. To purchase rationed items, such as cigarettes and alcohol, everyone who purchase rationed purchases must sign control sheet.

The plate, which resembles a credit card, is used to record the amount and type of rationed items purchased. Each active duty member and civilian employee is authorized a monthly Class VI quantity limit. Current limits for unaccompanied members are $350 groceries and 4 units alcohol. Command sponsored people with family members are authorized quantity limits based on their command sponsored status and age. Persons on unaccompanied tours who have noncommand sponsored dependents in Korea are limited to purchases for themselves only. They are not authorized increased limits for their noncommand sponsored families.

Shelf limits are placed on selected items by retail facility managers, installation commanders, or J-1 Data Management. These limits specify the number of items or amount which may be purchased each day. Nonconsumable items which are not normally purchased more than once per tour per household and typically difficult to maintain in stock (TVs, refrigerators, stereos, etc.) are considered controlled items. Personnel must account for controlled items before leaving Korea. Details on the ration control systems can be found in USFK Regulation 60-1 and in USFK J-1 information paper "The USFK Ration Control System," available from your unit or sponsor.

A new United States Forces in Korea policy to prevent blackmarketing will cause major changes in ration control. Retirees, command and non-command sponsored spouses, and children over 10 years of age must show both an ID card and a ration control plate to enter ANY base exchange or commissary. At smaller AAFES
facilities, such as shoppettes, shoppers must show both cards at the checkout counter. The new policy is being implemented because previous measures to prevent abuse of duty-free goods purchase privileges were ineffective. The new policy is an effort to protect member's privileges.

Ration control plates come in four categories: those with individual limits, family limits, non-command sponsored restrictions, and children's restrictions. Although anyone with a RCP and ID card can enter the BX and commissary, only active duty and command sponsored family members will be allowed to purchase ration-controlled items in the BX.

In the past, ration controlled items consisted of cigarettes, liquor, and appliances and selected merchandise costing over $50.00. New controlled items include liquor and goods that have been identified as highly black marketable. These items, which can cost as little as $15.00, include stereo music systems and
components, watches, microwaves, crockpots, small, hand-held vacuum cleaners, toasters, rice cookers, computer hardware, golf clubs, and other merchandise as identified by the Black Market Working Group.

There is no plan to post a list of the controlled items; however, upon presentation of a controllable items at the checkout counter, AAFES employees will ask customers for their RCP. Non-command sponsored members may purchase anything that is not ration controlled.

In the past, every family, including single members, had a limit of $750 per month. The new limits are: $350 for single members, $550 for a two person family, $700 for three person family, $850 for four, $1,000 for five, and $1,150 for six or more. Sponsors may obtain authorization to exceed monthly dollar limits by applying for a waiver. This waiver must be fully justified and approved by the unit commander.

These are Korea-wide restrictions. Personnel must keep track of all purchases, individual or family members, to avoid exceeding limits. If anyone exceeds ration limits, they will automatically lose their privileges for one year. An active duty service member will be subject to punishment under the UCMJ as well as other adverse actions. If a family member's purchase causes the family's purchasing limit to be exceeded, all members of that family will have their ration control plates revoked. That means that no member of that family will be permitted to enter the commissary, BX, or other outlets requiring a ration plate for entry. These individuals will have to buy all their food, clothing, furnishings, etc., on the local economy.

Osan is committed to stop blackmarketing. Please be aware of the policy if you or a family member is tempted to make a few "bucks" on the black market. It could be a very long year.

1. Accompanied Tour: Full JTR weight allowance. Strongly recommend that members carefully select those items needed to establish living comfort, considering that Government and off-base quarters are in almost all cases smaller than those found in CONUS. Ranges, refrigerators, washers, dryers should not be shipped as those are provided in family housing. (NOTE: Washers and dryers are not provided in Air Force Village quarters. There is a laundromat for residents). The walls are concrete, with unusual window sizes for your regular house curtains. Due to the small percentage of people with command sponsorship, floor plans are not included in sponsor packets. IF YOU HAVE A COMMAND SPONSORED BILLET AND ARE INTERESTED IN BASE HOUSING FLOOR PLANS, HAVE YOUR SPONSOR STOP BY THE HOUSING OFFICE.

If living off base, automobile parking is limited to none and yards are unheard of. Highly recommend you do not bring full JTR even if authorized. Average apartment size is 800 sq ft with no closets, and very little storage or cabinet space.

2. Unaccompanied Tour: Unaccompanied baggage allowance is 500 lbs for enlisted or 600 lbs for officer. Off-base apartments do not normally come with appliances such as stoves, washers, dryers, air conditioners, etc. Apartments off-base are small with limited storage areas. If unaccompanied personnel are authorized to live off-base they will receive single rate BAQ in addition to BAQ currently receiving. E-7s and above are being authorized to live off base, however, EACH SQUADRON MAY HAVE DIFFERENT CRITERIA FOR GRANTING PERMISSION TO LIVE OFF BASE. RECOMMEND YOU CHECK WITH YOUR GAINING UNIT. Dorm space is being re-organized with the purpose of moving the majority of people on base.

3. Furnishings Management Office: If you were placed in a designated slot known as PACAF "COMMAND SPONSORED" you are entitled to ship your full JTR weight allowance in and out of country. Due to the average size of living quarters, it is highly recommended that you do not bring large or oversize furniture (ex. piano). FMO provides 90-day loaner kits to command sponsored personnel for use until household goods arrive and for 30 to 90 days before you PCS after you've shipped your household goods. For on-base family housing in Mustang Valley and Air Force Village, FMO provides full appliance support which stays in your house permanently and cannot be removed. If you elect to ship your appliances, you will be required to store them at your own expense. We will also provide you any appliances you require for the time you live off-base. If senior NCOs or officers elect to live off-base, FMO will not provide you the loaner kit. Upon your initial visit to our office please bring a copy of your PCS orders with all amendments. If you are residing off-base also bring a copy of your authorization letter obtained from the Housing Office and your lease.

4. BDUs are the uniform of the day. Osan AB has many exercises during the year. Work days are longer than normal and weekend work is not unusual.

5. The Family Support Center has a program called "Serving Osan Solo" (SOS) required for unaccompanied married E-6's and below. During this program topics discussed include: communication and feelings, stages of separation and coping, and parenting from a distance. Numerous critiques from this program tell us that
this information needs to be addressed before you leave the States. The most pressing item usually is "finances". It is almost impossible to maintain just one checking account with two people using the same account especially with one member in to have an allotment for the family member here in Korea. That way every month you know exactly how much money will be coming out of the budget. Your sponsor packet should have information to prepare yourself and your family for an unaccompanied tour. If you do not receive this information (approx. 40 pages),
contact your local Family Support Center and ask them to e-mail the Osan Family Support Center with your address and a copy will be sent to you.

1. Personal property shipments by PCS personnel or other persons authorized duty-free importation must be of reasonable quantity.

2. Prohibited Items: You may not import fresh fruits, exotic pets (without permission from the Ministry of Agriculture), narcotics, communist propaganda, pornographic materials, explosives of any kind, flammables, uncut stones, deer horns, explosives, alligator handbags, TV satellite dishes, and citizen band (CB) radios.

3. Privately Owned Firearms: PCS personnel may bring non-automatic firearms in reasonable quantities and no more than one standard box of ammunition per weapon. Weapons and ammunition must be annotated in individual's travel orders. All firearms and ammunition will be stored in the base armory. Weapons will be registered with the Security Forces.

4. Excessive importation of Chinese medicines, vitamins, drugs, golf clubs, skis, furs, diamonds, color televisions, video recorders, video cameras, stereo equipment and musical instruments are dealt with severely under Republic of Korea law. Besides potential prosecution under Korean law, members of the Armed Forces are also subject to actions under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and military administrative actions such as reduction in grade, court martial and loss of retirement and other benefits. Under SOFA agreement the ROK government can take jurisdiction over any customs violation case it chooses.

NOTE: If you plan on bringing video tapes to Korea we suggest you send your videos via unaccompanied baggage. ALL personnel going through customs at the Osan Passenger Terminal have their luggage searched. Luggage can be searched at Kimpo International also. If you have video tapes in your luggage, expect to have them viewed. If they are found to be pornographic in nature (this can include exercise videos) they will be confiscated. Save yourself and those behind you in line a lot of grief and have tapes shipped in your unaccompanied baggage if possible. If you do bring videos with you MAKE SURE YOU DECLARE ALL OF THEM. IF CUSTOMS FINDS VIDEOS IN YOUR LUGGAGE AND YOU DID NOT DECLARE THEM, EVEN IF THEY ARE "FAMILY TYPE" VIDEOS, THEY CAN CONFISCATE THEM.

The following information outlines policy regarding spouse/dependent visitation to members stationed on Osan Air Base who are assigned unaccompanied quarters. All personnel should be fully aware of the possible impact on pay entitlement and other restrictions regarding a visit by a member's dependents. When all of a member's dependents visit Osan Air Base and reside in the member's quarters for more than thirty (30) days, basic allowance for quarters (BAQ) and variable housing allowance (VHA) must be stopped effective on the 31st day of the visit. This requirement is based on the Presidential Executive Order number 11157. Sponsors are required to notify the Housing Office and Accounting and Finance when dependents are staying with them in unaccompanied quarters and the visit will last longer than 30 days.

The purpose of TLA is to offset lodging expenses incurred due to the unavailability of government quarters. TLA is processed in 10 day increments. Member must bring 1 COPY OF PAID RECEIPT and 2 COPIES OF ORDERS for processing of TLA payments at the Housing Office.

Inbound members E1 to E4 are authorized up to 3 duty days (including Designated Location Move personnel). For E5 and above, 10 day increments are authorized up to 30 days with proper justification. If the Housing Manager projects that SNCP or Officer government quarters will become available within 60 days, then TLA can be approved up to 60 days. If permanent government quarters will not be available within the 60 days, member will be advised of such and must aggressively seek housing off-base immediately. They must obtain temporary/permanent quarters on a contractual basis, immediately, not exceeding first 30 days after arrival.

TLA will not be payable under the following conditions IAW USFK Reg 37-57, dated 22 Sep 94.

-A pregnant military member vacates bachelor type U.S. government quarters based solely on pregnancy status, antepartum or postpartum.
-The military member discontinues use of temporary lodging facilities in suitable or adequate U.S. government quarters for reasons other than health.
-The military member delays the delivering of Household Goods (HHG) or hold baggage for personal convenience after permanent housing is obtained.
-The military member fails to aggressively seek economy quarters.
-Individually sponsored dependents (a family member not authorized command-sponsored travel to the overseas command at U.S. government expense) are not authorized TLA.
POC is Base Housing Office at DSN 784-1840/6652; e-mail address (51ces/

As of Mar 95, E-1 to E-4s are no longer authorized to reside off-base. Waivers to this policy must be approved by the 51st Support Group Commander. The member's request for a waiver must have the squadron commander's signaturebefore being forwarded to the 51st Support Group Commander. Squadron commanders can authorize E-5s to reside off-base at government expense. The squadron commander is responsible for ensuring his or her unit maintains the required 95 percent dormitory occupancy rate required by Air Force Instruction 32-6005. Authorizing people to reside off-base at government expense is allowed when occupancy exceeds this criterion. Commanders should advise their people that an authorization to reside off-base at government expense entitles the individual to receive single rate Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ) and Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) with the exception of married members with dependents in the local area - they will receive the "with dependent rate." Their stateside Variable Housing Allowance will stop but will be replaced with the OHA at the proper rate. Transportation costs and furnishing support is not guaranteed. People will have the opportunity to select furniture from the excess stock maintained by the Furnishing Management Office. This support will be provided as available. It will be the member's responsibility to procure other furniture as required to support off-base living.


Please check with your local Red Cross office and get information about Red Cross services before PCS'ing to Korea. Please visit your local Red Cross Office for information, and prepare your family before you come to Korea in the event Red Cross services are needed.

If a family crisis arises during your tour at Osan, your unit commander can now approve emergency leave without American Red Cross verification

Back to Main Page Back to Osan Page